Veteran-Owned / Service Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business
The Department of Army is committed to expanding opportunities for Veteran-Owned Small Businesses and Serviced-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Businesses (VO/SDVOSB) to compete for prime and subcontracting contracting opportunities within the Army acquisition process. As VO/SDVOSBs expand their capabilities, they also increase their ability to help fulfil the Army priorities of Readiness, Modernization and Reform in support of the Warfighter. The SDVOSB program gives procuring activities the authority to set acquisitions aside for exclusive competition among service-disabled, veteran-owned small businesses. Sole source awards can be awarded if certain conditions are met.
The other objectives of the program include achieving the government-wide three percent goal of total prime and subcontract awards to SDVOSB; supporting the growth of VOSB/SDVOSB firms through outreach and technical assistance; and establishing procedures for collecting data on prime and subcontract awards to VOSB/SDVOSB concerns.
Strategic Plan for P.L. 108-183
The Office of Small Business Programs has a six-component strategic plan to increase contracting opportunities for SDVOSBs:
- Increase the SDVOSB base by identifying and developing companies that possess the capability and capacity to meet the full spectrum of Army acquisition requirements.
- Increase sole source and restricted competition contracting opportunities for SDVOSBs through extensive market research and innovative acquisition strategies.
- Educate Army leadership, acquisition professionals, and SDVOSBs through a modular, turn key training program that utilizes state of the art delivery methods.
- Maintain strategic partnering relationships with DoD/ODA organizations, Federal Agencies and VSOs.
- Leverage all small business programs to maximize contracting opportunities for SDVOSBs.
- Foster prime and subcontracting opportunities through joint ventures and teaming arrangements.
Strategies for Implementing P.L. 108-183
The Army developed a team to train our acquisition professionals on P.L. 108-183. The concept is to provide our contracting officers with detailed information on P.L. 108-183 and to address specific questions and issues. We also want to introduce them to resources available.
Through Oak Grove Software, a SDVOSB, the Office of Small Business Programs developed a training presentation on P.L. 108-183 that is posted on the office website. DefenseAcquisitionUniversity (DAU) is using the presentation as model for developing an SDVOSB training module for acquisition professionals.
If you would like more information, please contact the Army OSBP Front Desk at 703-697-2868.